Saturday, February 9, 2013

UPDATE ON MOM 2/9/13 - "Easy"

It's been a l-o-n-g day, so tonight's update will be short.

First off... I can't say enough good things about Alive Hospice.  I feel so blessed to be here spending Mom's last days.  It's a beautiful facility, the rooms are very "homey", not like a cold hospital environment.  The hospice nurses have all been excellent, making sure Mom stays completely comfortable and the families have all their needs met as well.

Mom slept most of the day.  In a DEEP sleep....

I had several friends come by to visit Mom and they helped me keep my sadness at bay.... My dear friend Sherree brought us dinner (YUM!) and once again, sweet Ellen is on the night shift, watching over Mom like an angel.

I was just about to leave tonight and Mom's eyes suddenly opened and she looked alert.. so I sat down beside her and started talking with her.  We talked off and on for about an hour.  Some of her sentences made sense, and some didn't... but that's ok.  I'm just treasuring hearing her voice right now, even if she is mumbling things that don't really make sense.

I'll share one bit of our conversation tonight.  I had my coat on ready to go home and I bent over and kissed her head and said:

"Mom, it's late and I need to go home and get some sleep.  I'll be back in the morning, ok?"
She sleepily mumbles, "Ok"
Then she quickly opens her eyes and grabs my hand and says,
"Will it be easy?"
"What do you mean Mom?  Will "what" be easy?"
"Will it be easy going home?"

"Yes, Mom, it's gonna be super easy. Piece of cake."
"Will you walk with me there?"
"Sure Mom, I'll walk with you.  And then I'll meet you there someday, ok?  Until then, you'll just have to be my angel."
She gives a big smile, closes her eyes and lays her head back on her pillow.
"Dad's already there, right?"
"Your Dad?"
She nods.
"Yes, your Dad is already there.  Your Mom too."
She smiles bigger.
"Ok, go get some rest. See you tomorrow."

Does it get any sweeter?  I mean... really.  Sigh.....  I'm gonna need more kleenex.  

2 comments:

  1. Precious memories, how they linger...how they ever flood our souls! How very precious, Marcia! Did they ever find out what is wrong with her leg? I've prayed for that leg for a while now!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Lisa... they just can't seem to find out WHAT is causing her so much pain in her leg... but it doesn't matter now. Soon she's gonna have NEW legs and running on streets of GOLD!! :-)

      Delete