Monday, February 11, 2013

UPDATE ON MOM 2/10/13 - "One of the lucky ones"


I recently found a picture of Mother when she was probably in her early 20's.... just married to my Dad.  On the back of the picture, in my Father's handwriting, it said, "The Most Beautiful Girl In The World."   Made my heart melt.  :-)

Mom was beautiful.  A simple lady.  The youngest child born to Hardy and Bess Harrison.  Met my Dad at a Baptist Church Camp and married him when she was 21 yrs old.  They tried for years to have a child with no luck... so they got on a waiting list to adopt a child, and after 13 years of marriage, they finally got ME.  :-)    They actually picked me up from my foster family on Feb. 14th, 1962... so I was their Valentine's Day present that year.

Mom and I definitely had our ups and downs as Mother and daughter.  I felt she didn't understand me many times, and I guess she must've felt I didn't understand her.  We had MAJOR fights, especially during my teen years and young adult life.   Luckily, we've had the chance to mend all those feelings and come to TRULY understand one another.  It's a gift that I'll always treasure.

I've got a reclining chair pulled up beside my Mother's bed in hospice tonight.  As I was laying there beside her, holding her hand and watching her labored breathing, I noticed a nurse had quietly walked into our room and was standing over us.

"Do you know how lucky you are?".. said the nurse.
"What do you mean?" I asked.
"I would have given anything to have been able to be beside MY Mother for a few hours before her passing." she said.
"Did she pass suddenly?", I asked.
"Yes, she fell and broke her hip and she went into surgery but she didn't make it through the surgery. It all happened very quick.  The last I saw of my Mom, she was smiling and waving to me as she was being taken into surgery.  It never crossed my mind that she wouldn't be coming out."  
"I'm so sorry.  I'll bet that was hard.".  I said.
And then the sweet nurse said, "I know this is a hard time sweetheart, but count yourself one of the lucky ones... and treasure this time with your Mom."

So... that's what I'm going to do.  I'm shutting the computer and the phone down and it's just gonna be me and her until she's safe in Jesus' arms.

Thank you all for your love, your prayers and your support.

Love you all..... M

5 comments:

  1. Jamie and I were talking last night about what a blessing it is for you to be able to spend this time and have those conversations with her (like your last blog post - WOW at that convo!). Praying for you all, and I promise chocolate chip cookies are coming soon.. They make most things at least a tiny bit better. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you sweet Amy!! Love to you and that dear husband of yours too.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the comments about your mother and they were very touching. Yes I agree you are very blessed. To have been chosen by both of your parents. When my daughter passed away at 34 years old she was asked by Jesus are you ready to go her reply was yes. And the next day she got her wish as I answered her room for the last time I I felt a breeze and your spirit was carried away by Angel. So you see we are both blessed in more ways than one. This life that we now live is only a blink of the eye eternity is forever. God bless

    ReplyDelete