Wednesday, August 7, 2013

It's August already?? Time for an update!

So I must say..... August hasn't started off exactly the way I wanted it to.   I don't remember blocking off Aug. 4th - 8th for "Stay in bed with horrible stomach virus", but that's what I did.  Yuck.  Anyway....

BEFORE the dreaded stomach virus hit me, I DID get to do one gig that has become an annual event, and it's one that my husband and I always look forward to doing.  It's a benefit in Cadiz, KY for the "Back to Back Foundation".  Our friends, Brice and Carie Long started this non-profit organization about 9 years ago so they could help out needy families who couldn't afford Christmas gifts each year.  It's truly a remarkable thing to watch 2 people (Brice and Carie) start out with a dream of how they could make a difference in this world, and then actually carry their dream forward into a reality.  With the help of so many local companies, radio stations, business owners, friends and family... they spread the word and have grown this Foundation into a wonderful blessing for that community.  I'm so proud of Brice and Carie and everyone involved with the Back to Back Foundation!!

Doing that show reminded me that giving BACK to this world is what really matters.  It matters to those that receive the gift, but I believe it makes an even bigger impact on the giver.   There is nothing more rewarding than the feeling you get from knowing that YOU made a difference in someone's life.  I had a friend recently tell me that she always felt like there wasn't anything she could do that could make that big of a difference for someone else.  She had convinced herself that she had no special talent, or specific gift that made her unique.  However, what she realized, (after loading herself up in a van with a bunch of strangers to serve those in Oklahoma who needed help after the recent batch of destructive tornados), was that just DOING something... anything.... is the biggest part in making a difference.  Anyone could have done what she did.... But SHE did it.   SHE took the step.  SHE got on that van and helped.

One of the things I have learned is that when I'm feeling down about things in MY life, taking the time to look around and meet a need for someone else is the BEST thing to making me feel better.  Isn't that funny how that works?   Doing something for someone else actually cures MY blues.

So... if you are feeling down a bit.... I've got something you can do to lift your spirits, in more ways than one!   My friend Megan James and her husband Josh Garrett are in the process of bringing their adopted children home from the orphanage that has been caring for them.   Megan and Josh are adopting 4 beautiful siblings from The Raining Season in Sierra Leone, West Africa.  Megan is an amazing singer/songwriter and she has just released a beautiful EP filled with wonderful songs that I know you will love.  All the proceeds from the title track will go to The Raining Season, and the rest of the proceeds will go towards helping Megan and Josh bring their children here to their forever home.  Now see... don't you wanna help this sweet family out??   PLUS, you help yourself out by getting an EP full of great music!  WIN-WIN!!  --- You can download her album here:  https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/love-outside-the-lines-ep/id668214017


On another, totally un-related note:   I should  be singing with "Twelve Against Nature" this Friday night at 3rd and Lindsley, here in Nashville.  AND.. the amazing Michael Omartian will be sitting in with us on keys!!   If you like the music of Steely Dan, you do NOT want to miss this!   Just PRAY that this stomach bug I have is gone so that I don't have to miss it either!!!!   It's gonna be AWESOME!!


No comments:

Post a Comment