Saturday, January 5, 2013

"Be still....."

"Be still and know that I am God." -- Psalm 46:10

That verse isn't easy for a "Martha" like me.  You know that story, right?  The story about the sisters Mary and Martha.  Martha was the "do-er".  Jesus showed up at their house and Martha was all about rushing around the house to make sure everything was just perfect for Jesus.  Cleaning and cooking and basically wearing herself out "do-ing".   Mary, on the other hand, just stopped doing anything other than to sit at the feet of Jesus and spend time with Him.  That did NOT sit well with Miss Martha, let me tell ya.  She was hacked.   Here's the story:

Luke 10: 38-42: -- As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him.  She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said.  But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”

 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one.  Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

I'm not big on making New Year's resolutions, but I DO want to make more of an effort to "Be still" with God in 2013.   For Christmas, my son Sam got me this:




In the intro of this book, the author, Sarah Young says:  "The practice of listening to God has increased my intimacy with Him more than any other spiritual practice."   

Notice she says LISTENING to God, not talking to God.  Big difference, right?   

In another book I'm reading right now, "Thinking Consciously Rocks!" by my friend Connie Williams, she points out that there is a difference between praying and meditating.  Now, you have to understand that I grew up as a little Southern Baptist girl and the word "meditating" was always considered something associated with "Eastern Religions" and so we stayed far away from any "meditating" for fear it would somehow mess up our minds.  I mean, that was as bad as doing YOGA.  Yikes!!   But I digress....

Anyway.... Connie is right... there IS a difference.  When I'm praying, it seems I'm doing most of the talking.  But sitting quietly and listening is a whole different process for me.   Letting God have some time to speak back to me is something I've been missing out on... usually because I'm letting my inner "Martha" take over.... but I'm going to try to be more like "Mary" this year and realize that my deeds are not what makes God love me.   There is nothing I can do to impress Him or make Him love me anymore than He does right now.  

What He wants from me is that I get to know Him.  And what is the best way to get to know someone better?   Spending time with them.... and listening.  

I just have to find a way to fight off the urge to rush through my morning "Jesus time" so that I can get busy "doing something".   It ain't easy for a "Martha" like me, let me tell ya.  But I'm really going to try and bring out the "Mary" in me this year and soak in the balm of Jesus' peace while being still in His presence.  

How about you?   Are you a "Martha" too?   Any tips on bringing out my inner-most "Mary"?   I'm all ears....  :-)  




3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will love this book. For 4 years now I have read it, shared it with Nathan his final year, wrote in it, cried in it, and this devotional along with the verses to read have spoke to me day in and day out these past few years. Someone got me a new one this Christmas so this one will now be a treasured keepsake. I think you will enjoy it Marcia !! Miss you and love you. Hope we start a study back up. Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am already enjoying it SO much!! Miss you too Laney.... I will be emailing everyone about our group soon! Love you!

    ReplyDelete