Saturday, October 13, 2012

Easy Chicken Pot Pie..... Mmmmmm.

--I had such a good response from posting my White Chicken Chili recipe last week, that I decided to keep the streak going.... this recipe is one of my families "fall favorites".   I mean, who doesn't love Chicken Pot Pie?   This recipe is simple and DE-LISH.   




FYI... I don't always go for "shortcuts" in cooking, but the Pillsbury Pie Crusts are SO divine, that I'm pretty sure I'll never take the time to make a pie crust from scratch ever again.  Believe me, this is one shortcut that doesn't taste like a shortcut!!




Easy Chicken Pot Pie

3-4 large chicken breasts on the bone
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 small pkg. of frozen mixed veggies
chicken broth (you'll have some left from cooking chicken breasts)
2 Pillsbury Pie Crusts
Salt and Pepper to taste

  --Boil chicken breasts in salted water until tender.  (I usually boil for about 20 mins, then turn to med-low with a top on the pot and let simmer for 2 -3 hours or until the meat wants to fall off the bone).
  --Let cool for about an hour, then de-bone and shred into bite-size pieces.
  --Cook frozen veggies on stove, just until slightly tender.  Let cool.
  --In large bowl, combine de-boned chicken w/both soups and 1/2 cup chicken broth.
  --Stir in cooked mixed veggies.

Put 1 pie crust in bottom of casserole dish.
Add chicken/veggie filling.
Top with other pie crust.

Bake at 425 degrees for @30 - 35 minutes.




Extra tips:
  Please do NOT try and use boneless, skinless chicken breasts.  I'm telling you, although that might be a shortcut to consider (because let's face it, no one loves de-boning chicken), it's not worth it.  You sacrifice too much flavor!!

 Do NOT get the fat free soups... go for the real deal.  This isn't meant to be a "diet dish" and if you try and make it one, you will be disappointed.

 Don't overcook the veggies when you cook them on the stove.  They will continuing cooking in the casserole once you put it in the oven, so just cook them enough to warm them through.

I serve my Chicken Pot Pie with a salad on the side...... Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment