Friday, December 19, 2008

Birthdays

Birthdays. They come every year. They remind you that you were born that day __ years ago. (fill in the blank). Everyone congratulates you as if you DID something amazing that day. All YOU did was come out screaming. LOL

We really should be congratulating the MOM of the person who is having the birthday that day, because SHE did all the work that day years ago. She's the one who has the memories of that day seared into her mind. She went through all the pain and effort to bring a human into the world. It ain't easy. I know. I've done it a couple of times myself.

My Mom did all that, but she did something extraordinary. After all that pain and all the effort, she did the unthinkable. She walked away. How could she do that? She did it because she had unbelievable love for me. She was a young girl. She was not prepared to be a parent. Neither was my father. They just weren't ready. So, they did the unselfish thing and gave me away. They gave me to a wonderful couple who dreamed of having a family of their own, but couldn't. It was a gift. A gift to us all. I got to be raised by two loving parents in a stable home and they got a daughter to love. Perfect.

Then, a few years ago, I got another gift by getting to have my birth parents back in my lives again. Along with six wonderful brothers and sisters, their spouses, and LOTS of nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles and cousins. I'm very blessed to have a BIG wonderful family now!! I'm thankful today, on my birthday to have a lot of love in my life. I'm grateful for the love of my family and friends. Thank you to all who have extended their birthday wishes. I had a wonderful day....

... and special thanks to Valorie, my birth mom.. for the choice you made!

No comments:

Post a Comment