Monday, December 17, 2012

Psalm 34:18... prayers for Newtown.

I'm sitting here this morning with tears streaming down my face, watching "Good Morning America" as they show pictures from each precious face that was gunned down this past Friday at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, CT.    

The stories being told about this tragic day are truly horrific.   Everyone immediately wants to start placing blame as we all struggle to make sense of this senseless act.  My Facebook feed has been filled with mad people screaming for stricter gun laws, better security in schools, harsher treatment for bullying and more help for the mentally ill.   They are angry.  They want answers.  They want revenge.  They want things to change. 
We all do.  

"We can't tolerate this anymore. These tragedies must end. And to end them we must change."  --President Obama

I know that we will be having alot of dialogue in the near future about what needs to change so that tragedies like this don't happen again.   There aren't any easy answers. It's going to take some time to fix this mess.   But our faith tells us that even when we don't have answers we can find comfort.  




I believe in that promise.  God is here.  He's in the midst of all this mess.  Good will win out over evil.  We can't give up.  Fight the good fight....but do it peacefully.  Don't let your anger settle in your heart.  Because if that happens... then evil wins.  If you carry hate in your heart, there won't be room for light.
And as Christians, we are called to be the "light of the world."  

Praying for all those grieving in Newtown, CT this morning.  And praying for the rest of us, that we all might be moved to help change things in this world.  Clearly, it's time.  







2 comments:

  1. I am not proud to admit this, but I had to turn the news off this morning so i could stop redo-ing my makeup and get to work. I got as far as the reporter telling what kind of breakfast a little boy had that morning, and I just couldn't stop crying. I'm haunted today by the picture of little Josephine, so cute and vivacious-looking, with such an apt name (it seemed from her picture). Mourn with those who mourn...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol.... don't be ashamed. I think many of us had to turn off the tv. The coverage is overwhelming. It doesn't mean those people aren't in our thoughts and prayers. Personally, I don't need to hear every last detail to understand the horror that they must be going through.... and I believe there are many other things that I could do today that will make a difference in this world, vs sitting in front of the tv, glued to the non-stop and sometimes inaccurate news coverage.

    A friend of a friend lost his little boy in the tragedy. Mourning today for all but especially little Daniel Barden and his parents Mark and Jackie. I can't imagine the grief they are feeling. Here's a website set up for the family: http://www.bardenfund.com/

    Yes, we are called to mourn with those who mourn.... so we can let our tears flow today and I'm sure everyone will understand why our make-up is smeared. Miss seeing you... would love to get together sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete