Saturday, December 1, 2012

Christmas and Solitude....

Saturday, December 1st, 2012 

I used to love Saturday mornings when I was younger, because they were usually the one morning I could sleep late and not feel guilty.  I didn't have to get up for work, or rush off for a meeting.  I could just sleep until my heart was content, spending the whole morning in bed catching up on the rest I needed.  Now, my appreciation for Saturday mornings has changed.  It's still usually the one morning I don't have to rush out the door to tackle whatever life is handing me to do that week --- but I don't sleep late.  I still find myself waking at my usual time of 6:30am.  WHY?  Because it's my Solitude Time.  And during the hectic Christmas season, I need my solitude more than ever.  


I try to have a bit of solitude every morning with my coffee -- before the rest of the family is awake and hustling around. Before the dogs start torturing the cat.  Before I turn on the tv and get distracted by the latest news on "Good Morning America".  Before I check my emails, or the phone starts ringing, or texts messages start dinging, begging for me to check them.  It's not always easy to get that time in, but it's important.  Actually, it's more like crucial to me.  

'
I've been reading Pete Wilson's book, "Empty Promises" for awhile now.  It's taken me months to get through it because it's so full of great little nuggets that I only read a few pages at a time, always getting something I can carry around and ponder on easily for awhile.  Chapter 11, "Living Close To The Truth"  says this:  "There are certain spiritual practices that allow me to see more clearly the truth about myself, my desires, and the lies I've believed." - pg 172   Solitude is one of those spiritual practices.   

"Solitude is the place where we finally have a chance to let down our guards and encounter our Lord without distraction.  Just you or me -- alone with the One who offers us real love and satisfaction."  -- pg. 174

I don't know about you guys, but as much as I love this time of year, the Christmas season can leave me feeling completely stressed out if I don't remind myself what it's really all about.  To help me this year, I started reading a morning devotional (after my solitude time!) called "Rediscovering the Christmas Season".    I love www.youversion.com -- You can download the app and read on your phone!!  I've been reading another one of their plans this year, but I'm taking a break to focus on this one for the next 25 days.  Join me if you'd like!  It will be fun to do it together!

So... what about you?  How do you find time for solitude?  And what benefits do you discover that it brings to your life?  


No comments:

Post a Comment